Friday, August 9, 2013

Prayer

(originally posted on Meditations of His Love Daily)

Lately, I’ve been challenged in my prayer life. If I remember in the morning I’ll pray, but most often my daily prayer time is in the evening just before bed. During the day I’ll sometimes pray, but most of the time that’s when I feel like I need to have special blessing for something I’m doing or I feel down about something. Sometimes I’ll just say, “Thanks, Lord!”, but usually nothing more than that.

I know apostle Paul says, “Pray always.” (Ephesians 6:18). I guess I always took it as a “pray always, whenever you think about it.” The problem is, I rarely think about it! (Which probably should be a warning sign right there.) Well, I’ve been reading this book by dc Talk titled Live Like a Jesus Freak (you might know them by another one of their books, Jesus Freaks). It’s a great book and although I’m only half-way through it I’m really appreciating it.

One thing they mentioned was a quote from Francois Fenelon, from his book Talking with God.

“Talk with God with the thoughts of which your heart is full. If you enjoy the presence of God, if you feel drawn to love him, tell him so.

“But what, you ask, are you to do to in times of dryness, inner resistance, and coldness? Do just the same thing. Say equally what is in your heart. Tell God that you no longer feel any love for him, that all is a terrible blank to you, that he wearies you, that his presence does not even move you, that you long to leave him for the most trifling occupation, and that you will not feel happy till you have left him and can turn to thinking about yourself. Tell him all the evil you know about yourself.

Read the rest of the post here.

Blessings,
Esther

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Esther, for sharing this -- I have been struggling in my prayer life recently as well. This post really stood out to me, as I've been kind of discouraged about it in the past couple weeks.
    The Lord has been revealing to me so many verses this week, that relate to prayer, and so I thought I'd share a couple with you -- I hope they encourage you as they have me:

    "Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." ~Luke 18:1

    " and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." ~Jeremiah 33:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I don't know what just happened, but somehow, the first phrase of Jeremiah 33:3 in my previous comment was deleted, and I am not able to edit it, sooo....I'm going to re-write it here...hope you don't mind (?)

    "Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things that you do not know." ~Jeremiah 33:3

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't mind! :) Thanks for sharing those verses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Esther. It is truly exciting to talk to God and hear Him whisper an answer in your heart and then answer you-but not always right away or how you want! But He does answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly, Abigail! God's ways are so mysterious, and talking to Him is such a great privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing, Esther! I appreciate your article - I was blessed reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you were encouraged, Rachel! I was a little afraid it might be too long.

    By the way--have you been busy lately? I haven't heard from you in a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)