Saturday, March 22, 2014

Why I Love Doing the Dishes

     Each person in a home has their own job or chore.

     Mine is doing the dishes.

     One of the worst jobs, I used to think. Because no matter the time of day, the day of the week, no matter whether the day was busy or quiet, no matter the place in infinity, no matter how I feel - there are dishes to do!
     Thus, having the job of keeping up with the dishes of seven people may have helped me learning some responsibility. And although I am thankful for that, it’s not the reason I enjoy the chore.

     The reason is time.

The kitchen sink” by Alan Cleaver is licensed under CC BY 2.0
     Time to think, reflect, consider, remember. Time when my hands are busy and my mind and heart are free to fly as they will. So they do.
     They fly through the memories of the day. Little memories and large memories. Sweet and bitter.
     Then, running over the memory, my mind considers.
     It draws its conclusions.
     And plans the future.

     Trying to look past my reflection in the window to see the stars at night, and past the soap spots to see the seagulls by day, my heart is singing.

     This is wonderful.

-Rhoda

9 comments:

  1. What a poetic way of looking at it! Washing dishes is my favorite job too-now. I love to dream up stories, sing, pray, and imagine while I do dishes. And I love seeing the sparkling counter when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good sense of accomplishment, isn't it, Abigail!
      Even though the bench doesn't stay that way for long! :-)

      Rhoda

      Delete
  2. Thank you for that thought! I have, often times, the same frustrations about washing dishes for ten; but to think of it as thinking time while doing something useful is really an excellent light in which to view it, monotonous it may be after a month or two, but the mind is free to think, the thoughts to roam, the mouth to sing, the heart to pray, and the memories to come. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you're catching the poetic drift there, Christanna :)

      Rhoda

      Delete
  3. Well Rhoda, I think people enjoyed it after all. :) And yes, I was encouraged by it as well. Thanks for taking the time to write! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to get 4 comments on something I wasn't sure about :)
      Thank you, Esther.

      Rhoda

      Delete
    2. I think that's how it usually happens for some strange reason. ;)

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for taking time to comment. Your input is always appreciated! (Please remember that we reserve the right to remove your comment if we deem it unacceptable.)

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”Colossians 3:17 (NIV)